Sloe Aging Pays Off
We love Spirit Works Distillery, based right in the heart of Sonoma wine country, for a whole host of reasons. The distillery has been built from the ground up with sustainable practices in mind, and both of its founders got their start in environmental nonprofits. It’s also a family-run distillery, and has one of the very few female-led distilling teams in the United States. But most importantly of all, it makes wonderful whiskies (and gins, too!).
This special whiskey was made by finishing straight 2-year-old rye whiskey for an additional year in a cask that previously held the distillery’s own sloe gin. It’s the first sloe gin-finished whiskey we’ve ever seen, and it’s really something special. The finish adds complex flavors of strawberry, raspberry, and juniper to the underlying spice, vanilla, and oak notes, making this whiskey similar in flavor to one of our very favorite cocktails: the Boulevardier.
- Type: Single cask
- Pour: Neat, on the rocks, or in a cocktail
- Glass: glencairn or rocks glass
Full Barrel Details
Transparency is paramount to our process. We provide full cask information on all of our releases. Unless a distillery specifically asks us not to disclose something, we will happily share it.
2022 Single Cask #4: Spirit Works California Straight Rye Whiskey Finished in a Sloe Gin Cask
- Mashbill — 70% organic rye, 10% malted rye, 20% specialty brewing malts
- Maturation Barrel Info — ISC New American Oak; char 4
- Barrel Entry Proof: 114
- Barrel Size — 53 gallons
- Finishing Barrel Info — American Oak, Toast + Char 4, 3rd use cask: 1st use w/Gin, 2nd use w/Sloe Gin
- Length of Secondary Maturation/Finishing — 1 year
- Age of Spirit — 3 years