Gentle Giant Balcones Distilling Texas Single Malt
Delicate. Elegant. Texas.
Named “BEST AMERICAN SINGLE MALT UNDER 12 YEARS” at the 2023 World Whiskies Awards!
Balcones Distilling in Waco, Texas is known for big, bold, rich whiskies born in the Texas heat. But when we went to Waco, we wanted to shine a light on a different side of this Texas pioneer. What would it look like to create a delicate and elegant whiskey at a distillery best known for intense and powerful spirits? That’s what we wanted to find out. We collaborated closely with the Balcones team to create this unique release.
This single malt is a marriage of five and a half casks that come together to create a soft, fruit-forward, and elegant Texas single malt that still embodies the distinctive flavor and mouthfeel we associate with Balcones. Made from 100% malted barley, this unique marriage includes whiskey that was aged in European oak cask, an ex-bourbon barrel, and in ex-apple brandy casks. After marriage, we proofed the whiskey down slightly, allowing the flavors to meld and integrate. It has notes of fresh apple, soft oak, dry spice, and a very long finish.
Age: 3 year
Quantity produced: 1,100 bottles
Details: Non-chill filtered; no color added
- Mashbill — 100% malted barley
- Barrel Entry Proof: 124.3 proof to 124.4 proof
- Barrel Info — This whiskey is a marriage of whiskey from the following casks. All were made with 100% Golden Promise malted barley.
- Casks 1 & 2: Aged 3 years and 9 months in 53-gallon apple brandy casks, then proofed slightly, rebarreled and finished for 1 month in another apple brandy cask
- Cask 3: Aged for 3 years and 2 days in a 60-gallon ISC European oak cask made from 36-month yard-aged staves
- Cask 4: Aged for 3 years and 30 days in a 60-gallon ISC European oak cask made from 36-month yard-aged staves
- Cask 5 : Aged 4 years and 4 months in a 53-gallon ex-bourbon cask
- Cask 6 (partial cask): Aged for 3 years and 56 days in a 60-gallon ISC European oak cask made from 36-month yard-aged staves
- Type: Single Distillery
- Pour: Neat, on the rocks, or in a cocktail
- Glass: glencairn or rocks glass
AWARDS & SCORES
We submit a select number of our releases to an even more select group of whiskey competitions. And it’s safe to say the judges have really liked what they’ve tasted. Here are some of the awards we’ve won.
2023 San Francisco World Spirits Competition
World Whiskies Awards
Best American Single Malt Under 12 Years
2022 John Barleycorn Awards
About Balcones Distilling
Founded in 2009, Balcones Distilling is a true pioneer. The distillery released the first-ever Texas whiskey, paving the way for hundreds of distilleries that have followed in their footsteps in the Lone Star State. Balcones has a long commitment to experimentation and innovation, creating whiskies that defy convention and unlock entirely new flavors. At the same time, the distillery uses local ingredients, especially grain, to help capture the terroir of Texas. Balcones has proven that Texas is a serious spirits region, and Texas whiskey is its own distinctive style. But the distillery doesn’t rest on its laurels, and continues to innovate and push the boundaries of American whiskey year after year.