Three sides of the desert: Smoky
This is the first in a trio of casks we selected from Whiskey Del Bac in Tucson, Arizona. The distillery’s founder, Stephen Paul, used to make ornate furniture out of mesquite wood. Now Whiskey Del Bac uses that same mesquite wood to smoke barley. The distillery is a pioneer in this process, a distinctly Southwestern take on the long tradition of peat-smoked barley. You’ve heard of peated single malt. This is mesquited single malt.
This whiskey was made from 100% malted barley, 60% of which was smoked with mesquite wood. It was aged in a used cask for 2 years and is the most savory of the three casks we’ve selected. It has a leathery, smoky flavor, like burnt embers on a grill, but with a rich herbal note that keeps the whiskey in balance. Big, very smoky, and extremely distinctive.
- Type: Single Cask
- Pour: Neat, on the rocks, or in a cocktail
- Glass: glencairn or tumbler
Full Barrel Details
Transparency is paramount to our process. We provide full cask information on all of our releases. Unless a distillery specifically asks us not to disclose something, we will happily share it.
Single Cask #5: Whiskey Del Bac Arizona Single Malt
- Mashbill — 60% Mesquite smoked malt, 40% unsmoked malt, all malted on site
- Maturation Barrel Info — 2nd fill American oak; old very smoky experimental cask
- Maturation Barrel Size — 15 gallons
- Finishing Barrel Info — N/A
- Length of Secondary Maturation/Finishing — N/A
- Age of Spirit — 2 years, 4 days