Three sides of the desert: Spicy
This is the third in a trio of casks we selected from Whiskey Del Bac in Tucson, Arizona. The distillery’s founder, Stephen Paul, used to make ornate furniture out of mesquite wood. Now Whiskey Del Bac uses that same mesquite wood to smoke barley. The distillery is a pioneer in this process, a distinctly Southwestern take on the long tradition of peat-smoked barley. You’ve heard of peated single malt. This is mesquited single malt.
Like our other casks selected from Whiskey Del Bac, this whiskey was made with 100% malted barley, 60% of which was smoked with mesquite wood. Unlike the other two, it was aged in a new oak cask. For that reason, even after just a year in the desert, it is the most oak-driven of the three and has an intensely spicy, herbal flavor, with bold oak and baking spice.
- Type: Single Cask
- Pour: Neat, on the rocks, or in a cocktail
- Glass: glencairn or snifter
Full Barrel Details
Transparency is paramount to our process. We provide full cask information on all of our releases. Unless a distillery specifically asks us not to disclose something, we will happily share it.
Single Cask #7: Whiskey Del Bac Arizona Single Malt
- Mashbill — 60% Mesquite smoked malt, 40% unsmoked malt, all malted on site
- Maturation Barrel Info — New American oak, char 3
- Maturation Barrel Size — 15 gallons
- Finishing Barrel Info — N/A
- Length of Secondary Maturation/Finishing — N/A
- Age of Spirit — 1 year, 2 months, 6 days